Thursday, June 28, 2007

In Praise of the Perfect Film

Its been a year, yet still I miss the hoopla surrounding the film classic "Snakes on a Plane." I saw this movie in the theater, on opening night. My friends questioned my judgement, if not my sanity. "Yes, but its snakes and they're on a plane" was the only response i could give. OK, I had one other response; "Yes, but its snakes and they're on a plane with Samuel L Jackson, muthafucka." Despite my solid reasoning and outward faith, I feared disappointment. My faith persevered and I testified in the form of shouting out "You Go Julianna Margulies" halfway through the movie after she deftly dispatches a snake with a fire axe . I left the theater proclaiming "That was the best film....ever." I put off buying the film on DVD thinking that my enjoyment of the movie may have had a lot to do with the excitement of the crowd. A Blockbuster 4 for $20 deal and two hours later, the film still delivers some good scares and my proclamation holds true. A review of some of the finer points

--Truth in advertising, there are indeed snakes on the plane. Movies with names
like "Remains of The Day," who knows what your getting
--No BS, 10 minutes of back story, then its on to the snakes
--The perfect ridiculous premise to quell fears of flying post 9/11
--Awesome character stereotypes: the chauvinistic pilot, flight attendant on her last flight, honeymooners where husband is afraid of flying, beautiful rich girl with pocketbook sized dog, woman with baby, two children of divorce flying solo to meet their mom, germ phobic rappers, incredulous snake expert, fey flight attendant
--Snakevision, get the action from the snake's point of view
--Any movie is better with Bobby Cannavale...mmmm, Bobby Cannavale
--A delightfully cheesy music video performed by the band Cobra Starship. The awesomeness of this video deserves its own post.

I need something new and awesome to anticipate. Sure Harry Potter is coming, but that comes with a sadness for the end and lacks a certain Joie de vivre. Yes the golden compass is coming, and while there will be a golden compass in the movie, it lacks the bombastic proclamation that there will in fact be snakes on a plane. Oh well, the void will continue.

No comments: