Thursday, June 21, 2007

Gay Sex in the 70s

I watched the documentary, "Gay Sex in the 70's", last night and it made me depressed as hell. The film features interviews with different gay men living in New York from 1969 to 1981. The sheer amount of sex available to these guys during this time period is unbelievable, The phrase "lets go to an orgy" seemed as common as "lets go to a movie" and said with about the same causal attitude. It was this attitude which really depressed me --"Hey let's kick up our heels and fuck!" Ok maybe depression tempered with a bit of jealously. Being a youngin' in the 80s, I don't ever remember a time when I was aware of sex, where I wasn't also aware of AIDS, and the potential that sex could kill you. And given the sudden and devastating impact of AIDS, the sex = death equation was a powerful weapon in raising awareness. While effective, it also seems really traumatizing. The idea of completely recreational sex, without the idea that sex might be something you need to be "careful" about, seems so completely foreign to me. After watching this documentary, I realize that today's/mine concept of casual sex is so weak in comparison to gay men's of the 70's. The revolutionary power of fucking at the time and the sheer care free-ness of it all.......I'll need to keep thinking this one over....and over....and over....

No comments: