Saturday, July 14, 2007

Male Marketing

The past couple days I've witnessed several Under Armour logos plastered on the back of guys cars. I also witnessed several of these guys getting in or out of their cars and feel fairly comfortable pegging them as straight guys. I don't get the appeal of bumper stickers to begin with. I especially don't get the appeal of slapping your brand of athletic undergarment on the back of your car. I've never seen a bumper sticker for "Bike Jockstraps, they keep my balls in check!"

Under Armour is sort of unique in the field. First the spelling. Like the British colour or theatre, spelling armor with an "ou" just makes its classy. Because when I think of clothes designed to wick away sweat, I think class. Second the design. Tight yet manly. Anyone willing to publicly advertise their allegiance to this brand seems more likely to do it in the gay gear-fetish community than on the back of a car. Third, the concept of armor, sorry armour. Comparing to sport to warfare is commonplace. Suggested slogan - Fight jock itch and sweaty balls the way the Crusaders fought the Turks!

No comments: